Monday, February 25, 2013

15 Graces To Pray For

Today is my first day back after a 3-day silent retreat to participate in the Ignatian spiritual exercises.  I have so much I want to share with you, but know I have to pick and choose the things that are good for you.  Before I get carried away, let me very seriously encourage you to make one of these retreats in your lifetime.  The sooner, the better.  The more often, the better.

You cannot return the same after spending a weekend conversing with Jesus Christ.

These retreats come around twice a year in these parts.  Next year, mine will be February 13 - 16 in Castroville, TX.  Put it on your calendar if you live less than two states away!

I attended this same retreat last year and it was the impetus for starting this blog.  If you haven't read my very first few posts, it will give you the necessary background for understanding my motivation every time I write.  In a nutshell, last year I was completely convicted of God's love for me, and the pain it causes Him when we fail to trust Him.  I felt very compelled to do something to love Him back, and encourage others to do the same.

This year, I was reminded of His love for me (my conviction from last year remains), His generosity, His patience, and His mercy.  I had many personal lights and wrote my program of life, which is basically a plan that identifies the major area of sin in your life, how it manifests itself, the opposing virtue, and specific measures to practice that virtue. 

It is very personal, and every person's looks different.  I am not opposed to sharing mine with you, but am going to wait for that inspiration, as I'm not yet sure if it would be helpful to you.

However, I know something that will be helpful to you.  For each of the 15 meditations, we were encouraged to ask for a specific fruit or grace.  I want to invite you to ask for the same graces and encourage you to incorporate them into your prayer life. 

In Apostolate for Holy Motherhood, Christ says, "Ask of Me all that is good for thee spiritually, and it will be granted thee..."

Lord, please grant me the grace...

1.)  Of detachment of all that is not You nor leads me to You.
2.)  To seek You alone.
3.)  To know the malice of sin, so I may despise it in my own life.
4.)  To be ready for death at any moment.
5.)  To be a disciple that is called to Christ's right hand at the final judgment.
6.)  To be meek and humble of heart.
7.)  To imitate You in simplicity.
8.)  For a deeper desire to follow You.
9.)  For the grace to experience the depth of the Mass.
10.)  To know You as a person.
11.)  To accompany You in Your suffering.
12.)  To be as faithful a friend to You as You are to me.
13.)  To ardently desire Heaven.
14.)  To be an apostle, who with You, can do all things.
15.)  To use well the gifts You have given me, especially my intelligence and free will.

Thank you for hearing me.  I love You.  Make me love You more and more.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I cannot wait to go on one of these retreats. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I cannot wait to go on one of these retreats. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete