Sunday, March 26, 2023

Middle of the Night Fight

I just wanted to share a few thoughts as your marriage and family therapist in training. 

 Because when was the last time you got to hear every word of someone else's fight?!

I had an intense observational session with my hotel neighbors between midnight and 1am this morning. 

No, it wasn’t scheduled.  

But, I showed up anyway because the wall was so thin, they may as well have been sitting on my bed.

I'm not sure who she called, but there was a strong opinion it wasn't her Mom, like she said.

My takeaways:

1.  Don't talk over your significant other, or anyone.  Ever.  This is verbal bullying and very disrespectful.  Let them finish.

2.  You may be able to cut the conversation length in half, if you simply acknowledge what you allowed your person to fully express.

3.  Consider saying, "I think you're lying" rather than "You are a liar!"  

4.  Go old school.  Use the phrase I really, I strongly, or I passionately fill-in-the-blank instead of I f-ing fill-in-the-blank.

5.  Avoid mocking your beloved in the tone or phrases they communicate with.

6.  Always and Never should not be your friends.

7.  If it's late and you feel like you are not making any progress, say "I'm done talking about this, now.  I love you.  Let's revisit this in the morning."  *Your neighbors will REALLY appreciate this one.

That is all.

Thank you and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment