Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Halfway to 90

I’m halfway to 90 today.  Not that 90 is my goal, really.  

I would say mid-eighties is an ideal checkout time, but just about then, I meet an amazing 91-year-old and others well beyond that, and I feel like a jerk just for thinking it.  A very experienced and beloved coworker recently said, “As long as I can suck a milkshake through a straw and enjoy it, I still wanna be alive.”  I like that, too.  

 I didn’t drink a milkshake today, but I am just home from eating out with my family and topping off with cake and ice cream.  I like to write a blog post on my birthday to see how my perspective changes and what is top-of-mind from year to year.  Kind of like a 2D time capsule with just words, and nothing to open but a website.

Today, I want to remember the questions that are bearing fruit in my life.

“What do you want more/less of?”  and “Lord, what do you want me to know?”  

Answers to these questions in recent months have been…More one-on-one, more quilting, less stomach fat (more exercise), more nature, less Facebook, less supervisor responsibilities, and more education.

So, I’ve…

…started drinking my first cup of coffee on the front porch in the morning.

…stepped out of management and back into the field full-time.

…started doing burpees (again).  It feels like longer, but I timed it today.  It only takes a minute (or so) to do ten.  Even I can commit to doing something for one minute.

…made a table runner, two quilts, and am halfway finished with a third.

…applied to graduate school, and start in 13 days.

Still no 21-and-holding for me.  I love growing older.  So much to wonder at, be in awe of, and grateful for.

It looks like there is a little debate as to what was actually said by St. Iranaeus.  But, I like the version that says, “The glory of God is man fully alive.”  I can’t help but wonder if that man was 45…





3 comments:

  1. Good Morning my friend! Hoping your birthday is a special one for you! I love your posts…

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Good Day ...Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wait till you're fully alive at 95!
    Boom💥
    Happy birthday ✨

    ReplyDelete