Friday, June 1, 2012

All is Well That Ends Well - Rough Beginnings are Just That

Is it just me or do you put a little pressure on yourself to start summer off on the right foot?  Set the tone, as it were.  Well, my poor beginning started yesterday when I took a rare midday nap when my youngest went down.  I woke up to the sound of my boys knocking on the front door to get in after school (normally, I meet them at the corner or halfway down the street).  This is the only time this has happened in their school career.  Not my proudest moment.  That was followed with my oldest boy's horrible, find-something-wrong-with-everything attitude.  After a few hours of that, things looked up after homeade pizza and a trip to the swimming pool.

This morning, my middle son woke up with a bad attitude and then it was a morning of asking them a million times (or at least 3) to pick up this or wipe down that.  After no serious effort to pick up the Legos in their room, it was amazing to see how fast they moved when I just started vacuuming in there.  I must remember this for the future...Ask them to pick up once and just start vacuuming!  Magic.

All this to say that just because it's not all blissful chore-doing and overflowing gratitude to be alive and living under my roof, doesn't mean that this summer is going to hell-in-a-handbasket.  It just is what it is, and part of what is going to make this summer one full of joy and refreshment, is taking things as they come and letting molehills be molehills. 

The second reading from yesterday is well-timed for the summer and a much needed shot-in-the-arm. 

Romans 12: 9-16 - Brothers and Sisters:  Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; anticipate one another in showing honor.  Do not grow slack in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.  Rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, persevere in prayer.  Contribute to the needs of the holy ones, exercise hospitality.  Bless those who persecute you, bless and do not curse them.  Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.  Have the same regard for one another; do not be haughty but associate with the lowly; do not be wise in your own estimation.

Dear Lord, Thank you for this beautiful day and the cool morning we had!  Thank you for the slower pace of summer.  Help us to be fervent in spirit, love one another, and serve You!  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I tored that out of my Magnificat yesterday!!!

    It is something to be devoured for sure!

    ReplyDelete